Wednesday 25 November 2015

#beingmuslim#respect




I am a Muslim and my surname is Ahmed. I wear a headscarf, I pray regularly and I even read the Quran.

I am also a mother of two and love my kids indefinitely. I enjoy hanging out with friends, shopping and gossiping.

Oh and I am also a professional physical therapist who contributes towards the well being of the society everyday.

So because of my initial introduction, why the panic? 

We are living in a highly volatile system where there is a very very fine line between tolerance and intolerance. So much so, that I am actually thinking twice before posting this even though there is nothing extremist in it!

However, there is a need to express my indignation. Just because a few barbarians justify themselves in the name of religion, I cannot let my identity take a beating.

There is a need to express a sense of forebearing I harbour for my children, who in the near future, could be victims of the widespread islamophobia.

And there is a dire need to change this.

The way things look, it seems like a long way towards any change. But we all can, bit by bit --  As muslims, teach your children tolerance and the real essence of religion which is peace outwards and within. As  a mother, instil values of empathy, respect and dignity. As professionals, educate the future generation to contribute postively. 

And above all stop complaining. Stop justifying yourself for what you have not done. Stop the blame game. Don't sit and play the victim.

These are testing times and the only way to sail through is by doing good. Hatred and violence are just fuel to an already lit up fire. So do good..small or big..just do good; and good will come back.

#IamMuslim and I am not a terrorist.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautifully written my dear friend :)

Unknown said...

Love it!!

Unknown said...

Very well written...we should think n do positive...

fari said...

Wow how beautiful. .. penned it down perfectly. ..Keep it up!!

Crowgirl said...

Well said, and I agree. I am not Muslim but my twin is and I would/do not want her and her family living with hate and stereotypes.

Francine said...

Perfectly said.

Tiina A said...

It's unbelievable how a small group of people can make so much harm and how it effects for the whole religion - which actually has absolutely nothing to do with it. We need this kind of declarations as your blog post, so that people can understand that muslim doesn't equal a terrorist.

Kayla said...

Yes, a small group of people often represent a whole group, unfortunately. Thank you for standing up for you and others like you.

JaQuette said...

I love your honesty and vulnerability. It is shameful that the outrageous acts of a handful have made life harder for non-extremists. I'm glad you are choosing to persevere in spite of it all!